patti has requested that I list 10 random things about myself:
1. I was mugged once while walking downtown in a major city U.S. at night with a female friend. After one of the muggers snatched my purse, I chased the muggers down, wearing a dress and high heels. After running after them for several blocks by myself, eventually a cop on a motorcycle heard my shrieking from a distance- he zoomed to the vicinity of my pursuit, and shortly thereafter, the cop and I nabbed the muggers. This was probably my finest moment.
2. I won an essay contest in high school and appeared on TV for 30 minutes (filmed in DC) with a NY Senator as a result.
3. I have helped native American ranchers in Montana herd cattle on horseback in the Rocky Mountains.
4. I have never been married.
5. Marriage was never a part of my childhood dreams.
6. The job I've had since college was my childhood dream.
7. I will shop in Thrift Stores only on "50% Off Day."
8. I sucked my thumb until I was 12.
9. I got braces when I was 10. They were necessary due to fact number 8.
10. One of the most horrifying events of my childhood was the time one of my braces came off in the YMCA swimming pool while my school was there for swimming lessons (which I already despised before this occurrence). Although painfully shy, I had no choice but to tell the instructors what had happened. They blew their whistles, cleared all the kids out of the pool and started diving for my wayward brace. It took hours, seemingly, and they were eventually victorious. The horror I experienced at age 10 is as fresh today as on the day it happened.