Tuesday, May 11, 2010

another one that got away

Over the past few months it's been difficult to find time for whirlingbetty, but now that my schedule is less hectic I'm back!

A month ago, my dream nearly came true.  Again.  I was all set to bid on a really cool Victorian house in my favorite neighborhood which is in the downtown area.  That neighborhood is really expensive, but the house in question was in foreclosure and was scheduled to be sold at a sheriff's auction in the county courthouse.

Look at those lions guarding the house of my dreams!   It had a huge front porch, with a flat roof on top of it so that it could actually be used as a  terrace off the second floor:
This house was in a great location- right across the street from a really great urban park, a block away from a grocery and drug store, and walking distance to work.  Perfect!

I know how it is with foreclosures.  It's risky to try to buy one, for many reasons.  You must brace yourself for a roller coaster ride, even if things go your way.

Things did not go my way.  The house which should have been mine was withdrawn from the sheriff's sale the day before it was to be auctioned off.  And there goes another house which was almost mine.

8 comments:

Big Dave T said...

Roller coaster is right. It's a roller coaster even when you DO get a sales agreement. But I heard foreclosures are up here in Michigan, probably in Ohio too. You might get more chances

Constance said...

Augggggh!!!
But look at it this way - you're getting closer to the one that WILL be yours!
You're going to have your dream house, B - it WILL happen, you just keep the focus.
Think of it as kissing frogs. The Prince is one of them:)

B.S. said...

Dear Big Dave,

Foreclosures are common here- 300 foreclosed houses are auctioned off each week. How ever, the nicer neighborhoods rarely have foreclosures, so this was an unusual opportunity. I will keep looking!

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Aurora,

Yes, I must be getting closer. I'll keep on kissing frogs! It's only a matter of time, right?

Hugs,
Betty

Constance said...

Betty: Yes. I firmly believe it is inevitable. You can't win unless you play (make an offer). Stick with your dream and vision of it in the neighborhood you want and with the layout you like. It will happen because you keep trying.
Houses are like that:)

B.S. said...

Dear Aurora,

I'm glad that you believe in my dream. That strengthens it! I will keep trying.

Hugs,
Betty

Monogram Queen said...

Don't give up, YOUR house is out there and you two will be reunited. Praying for you!

B.S. said...

Dear Patti,

I like your attitude! Thanks for the prayers!

Hugs,
Betty