Monday, December 19, 2011


This is from my final set of photos taken of my kitchen prior to renovation:

And this is what that view looks like now:

A picture is NOT worth a thousand words in this case.  It all looks very neat, orderly and acceptable in this photo.  It looks as though the renovation is not disrupting any lives; it looks as though the house this room is in is still functional.  It does not appear that the homeowner is losing her ever-loving mind.

The horror stories you've heard about kitchen renovations are all true.  Guaranteed.  I just hope the one thing every survivor claims, about the renovations always taking twice as long as promised, is NOT true. 

I suppose that if this were a bigger house, it wouldn't bother me so much to have workers in it 7 days a week.  There are only 4 rooms in the house.  I can't stand to have this much contact with other people.

I also can't find anything.  Now I realize that I used to store a shocking number of non-food items in my kitchen - necessities like scissors, paper, writing utensils, important papers and contact information.  (It's a four-room house after all.)  I can't find anything now, even though I am the one who hauled everything out of the kitchen.  It's a tiny  house, which means that accessible and viewable storage of displaced items is not an option. 

It goes without saying that it's extremely challenging to live for weeks on end with no kitchen.  It's impossible to eat properly with no kitchen.  I suppose if we lived near a health food store, it wouldn't be so bad.  But we don't.

And then there are situations like this morning.  I never get sick, and one of the reasons I don't is because whenever I feel anything coming on, I go straight to the kitchen to take whatever remedies apply.  I eat garlic or onions (natural antibiotics), take some echinachea for general malaise or some cherry bark syrup for a sore throat.  Well, you know where this is going.  I could barely get out of bed when the alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, and I knew I needed echinachea.  And yes, you guessed it - I haven't the foggiest idea where it is.

It is notable that the only time I have ever failed to get The Child to school on time occurred last week.  My life is so turned upside down that I failed to awaken last Thurday when the alarm went off.  The Child was forced to go to detention because of it, even though I wrote a lengthy note to the school administrators explaining that it was entirely my fault.  I should have been sent to detention.  In fact, I should have been sent to detention for making the decision to renovate. 


Some time has passed since I began writing this post .  Here's what the kitchen looks like now:

It doesn't look much different, even after more than 2 weeks of work, but there's been a lot of electrical work to re-do that doesn't show.  The renovator (who usually works alone without helpers) often talks to himself or whistles while he works.  I like that.  He seems to enjoy what he's doing, even though he gave me such a low price that he's probably not making any money on this job.  I also like the fact that he works 7 days a week. How many workers do that?  (I can just imagine the outcry if the employees at my workplace were asked to work 7 days without a day off!  Heads would roll!)

No matter what the new kitchen ends up looking like, I guarantee that I'm going to be thrilled to have one again.  

Meanwhile  I have begun painting elsewhere in the house.  I painted the master bedroom pale yellow, as Cinderella suggested.  I think it looks really good.  The room (which is where The Child sleeps) is  a wreck, so I'm not posting photos.......well, actually, I will...............

Here's before:

Here's after:

Cinderella obviously has a good eye for color.  I am very pleased with the room.  Thanks, Cinderella!  Next, when I have time to shop, I am getting new carpeting for the room.

Progress is being made.



Cinderella said...

Dear Betty,
My enormous empathy with what you are going through with the renovation.

It is definitely an nerve-wracking time, and I commend you for not having a nervous breakdown on top of getting a cold!

Having your space, privacy, quiet, convenience and organization (cabinets) invaded is beyond hard.

Hugs to you for your fortitude, and finding a silver lining in the renovator whistling while he works.

The newly painted soft yellow bedroom looks VERY good, especially in combination with the tones of the wood around the windows and doors.

I am touched that it seemed to be an idea that you were willing ot try - and that you are so happy with the result.

Hopefully, all will be finished soon - and I pray that an offer comes in with the new year.

Wishing you and the Child a Merry Christmas together.


B.S. said...

Cinderella, you do seem to understand how challenging this is.

In this part of the country, the weather in January is horrid (and frigid). February is just as bad. March is unpredictable. Houses usually go on the market April 1. I will be aiming for March 1, however, which is the date I put it on the market in 2011.

By then I will have replaced floors, painted walls, had the grout in the shower re-done, renovated the kitchen and had the house professionally cleaned. Then we'll see what happens.

I am becoming confident that my house is a real treasure. Buyers may sense that as well. If they don't, then I'll stay here. Somehow I'd have to get over disliking having to drive so far to work downtown, or at least make the best of it. As we enter the treacherous driving season, I dread the driving more than you can imagine. The bus is not a real option because I work nights a lot, and it wouldn't be safe walking from the bus to my house late at night.


Cinderella said...

It feels as though the buyers WILL sense it, Betty:)

Love simply manifests itself. A home emits a welcoming and cared-for feeling that is inviting.

Kudos to you for all the thought, work and wise choices you have made over the last year in making it so!