Wednesday, July 04, 2007

the 4th

Today was July 4, 2007, a day that will not be repeated. It was one of a kind. I spent it with The Child. We didn't party, we didn't barbecue, but we did see The Mayor in the park this morning at the community breakfast in the shelter house. (It's an election year, and this neighborhood's July 4th fest trumps the others scattered throughout the city.)

Our house is situated on the park where today's festivities took place; thus, many of our neighbors hosted parties. Maybe next year, after the child custody case is settled and life is simpler, The Child and I will host a party. Until then, we're better off just rolling with the punches, so to speak.

After the thunderous storm this afternoon, we walked to the soggy soccer fields where huge inflatable games were set up for children. The Child played happily, we hung around with friends from his school, we ate ice cream cones, pizza and funnel cakes, then he got a henna tattoo of the Japanese symbol for "sky."

The Child wanted stink bombs from a vendor in the park. So be it. They were less expensive than most of the things he asks for. He's still upset with me because I refused to take him to the super duper blowout fireworks display last night downtown along with millions of other revellers. Hopefully the stink bombs took the edge off his disappointment. He asked for a whip too (why were they selling whips at a family celebration?) but I drew the line.

The Child, who just completed third grade, informed me that my camera has a 'fireworks" setting. Sure enough, I checked, and it does, and I figured out how to activate it in the nick of time after several minutes of frantic fussing, fumbling with the owner's manual, a flashlight and a magnifying glass (in the dark, no less). We just finished watching these fireworks pictured here.


On July 4, 2007 I learned a new skill (firework photography), enjoyed an outing in our very own park, socialized, finished some paperwork for court during the storm, and got to hang out with one very cool kid who didn't tantrum when I said no to the whip.



29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your shots of the fireworks are nice. I tried taking some pictures of ours, but they are not so great. I wonder if my camera has a fireworks setting?

Whips?

Popped over on the recommendation of Dr. John who has made you his link of the day.

Lori's Minute said...

Sent by Dr. John...

Nice photos, thank the child for telling you about the setting....perhaps our camera has one but we will have to wait until next year to use it!

Sounds like you had a nice Fourth and good job standing your ground on the whip!

Margaret said...

Great Fireworks. We opted to watch some on TV last night, but turns out all of our neighbors had different plans - and we went outside. =O)

Stopping by from Dr. John's place.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Coming by way of Dr John

Liked the pictures of the Fireworks and wishing you a belated Happy 4th of July.

I liked you post from Monday and look at the pictures of someplace I've never been but now would like to visit.

Wonderful blog you have

Constance said...

Great fireworks pictures, Betty !

And I have to agree with you, he's a little too young to be getting into S&M ! (lol)

B.S. said...

Dear Stacy,

Thanks for following Dr. John's link mto this blog! I'm flattered.

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Lori,

Thank you, too, for following Dr. John's link. That was awfully sweet of him. And I will thank the child.

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Margaret,

Thanks! I usually watch them on TV too, but now that I've discovered the fireworks setting I'll always be interested in live fireworks!

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Old Fart,

Thank you, too, for stopping by! Dr. John did me a huge favor.

And a happy belated 4th to you, too!

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Annie,

Thank you! I've always wanted to be able to photograph fireworks, and wondered how it was done...don't know what I'd do without The Child!

Hugs,
Betty

Kacey said...

Love the pictures of the fireworks! I just plain love fireworks, since my first born was born on the 4th of July. Does that make her a Yankee Doodle Dandy? I wonder if my camera has such a setting? I guess I need a going on fourth grader to lead the way..... Whips? Licorice whips? I did not come here by way of Dr. John, but would go read his, if it were linked.

B.S. said...

Dear Kacey,

Happy belated 4th! I'd post a link to Dr. John if I could figure out how. His recommendation was a pleasant surprise!

The whips were like horse whips, I'd say. They looked pretty threatening.

The problem with the fireworks setting is that I can't figure out how to get out of it!

Hugs,
Betty

Cattiva said...

Those pictures are FANTASTIC!! I wonder if my camera has a "fireworks setting?"

2bme said...

Children are so well informed on these technical things huh? Good for him. It sounds like you had a lovely day. I missed fireworks this year since I was driving most of that day.THanks for sharing your pictures.

B.S. said...

Dear Cattiva,

Thank you! I think the fireworks setting is unusual, but then agian, i didn't even know I had it! Thanks for stopping by!

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Maria,

I'm glad you liked the photos. I'm having trouble getting the camera out of fireworks mode, though. I'll have to ask the child!

Hugs,
Betty

Dust-bunny said...

Betty,

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I never knew a fireworks setting existed, maybe that's one of the 20 icons that I can't identify on my camera!! Thanks for the tip!!

B.S. said...

Hi Lisa! Now if only I could get RID of the fireworks setting......

Hugs,
Betty

Priyamvada_K said...

Hi Betty,
Sounds like you had a nice July 4th. Our kids must be the same ages. I smiled at the 'didn't tantrum' - a knowing, empathetic smile....

Priya.

B.S. said...

Dear Priya,

It's so good to see you again! Yes, you always did seem to understand....

I hope you are well!

Hugs,
Betty

Desiree said...

Cool! I wanted to get pictures this year but it poured here on the fourth and so I didn't get to go. A fireworks setting eh? I wonder if my camera has that. What kind of camera do you use Betty?

B.S. said...

Dear Desiree,

I use a Canon PowerShot A550. The camera seems good- I researched cameras for more than a year before buying it- I was in no hurry. Even if you lose your head and forget to use any settings, it seems to take decent shots anyway.

Hugs,
Betty

Desiree said...

Oh wow I've got a Canon Power shot too but mine is a S31S. I love it! There are so many different settings on it I have yet to learn about but it really takes great shots.

B.S. said...

Dear Desiree,

Yep, my research showed that Canon PowerShot was the way to go. I have no idea how yours differs from mine, but they're all good!

Hugs,
Betty

Constance said...

Just coming by to say hello and see how you and the Boy are doing this weekend, Betty !

B.S. said...

Hi Annie! I'm working this weekend and madly cleaning the house the rest of the time. No rest for the weary.

Hugs,
Betty

Dust-bunny said...

Hi Betty!

Just stopping by to see how you're doing with everything. Hope all is going well...you haven't posted in a while!

Constance said...

Happy Sunday the 5th to you, Betty ! how are things going ?

DubLiMan said...

Beautiful shots. I see that it has been some time since you last posted. Hopefully you are still active?

I found your site through a shared link that I have with “Let’s Change the World”. Would you be interested in a link swap? Please visit my site at: http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. My site is “Dedicated to the Pursuit, Capture, Care & Feeding of a Positive Mental Attitude.” I have zero adds on my site. I feel that what I have to say has universal significance. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same. I only make this offer to sites that I know my readers would benefit from.