Tuesday, March 24, 2009

spring is here


Can you detect the faint hint of green in the bushes on the left, and red in the bushes on the right? The subtleties of spring are becoming bolder by the minute. The closeup below shows promising buds and new growth.


Over the past couple of months I've allowed the house to fall into a state of alarming disarray. Something had to be done! I wouldn't go so far as to say I've been "spring cleaning", but at least I've been straightening up the house to the point where I can invite people inside again.


The crocus is the quintessential harbinger of spring. Crocuses abound around my house.


Below is a miniature daffodil, about 1/4 the size of a regular daffodil. (The regular ones bloom later, in April.) Each spring I am reminded of my dear friend Wini who died of breast cancer several years ago when the daffodils were in full bloom.


I have not been spending any money lately. Last summer was rough; my employer had shut down the business for several months, and during that time my car broke down 5 times and the plumbing in my house went bad. Repairs for those unfortunate events cost thousands of dollars. Financial recovery will take a long time.

However, I was perusing the ad from Target in Sunday's newspaper and I spied a fun, whirlingbetty-looking welcome mat for $9.99. Here it is:



Now that my schedule has lightened up a bit, I am heaving a huge sigh of relief and getting back to the things I've neglected, like blogging. I have resumed my fair weather practice of sitting outside on the patio in front of my house, feeding the animals and reading.


Happy Spring!

18 comments:

Frequent Traveler said...

I can see the green..

Straightening the house feels good after it's finished :)

Glad that the springtime has brought you out of hibernation and back to blogging, Betty !

B.S. said...

When I was photographing that subtle green, I wasn't sure if it was green or if I was imagining it. I'm glad you see it!

I missed blogging and I'm glad to have time for it again.

Hugs,
Betty

Nancy said...

Spring can't get here fast enough! We had light snow here (Michigan) last weekend.

The photo of your crocus is stunning!

B.S. said...

Dear Nancy,

The thought of snow is quite unappealing. I hope you're finished with it now!

Hugs,
Betty

Big Dave T said...

Maybe spring is slowly working its way up north. It was still 20 degrees here in Ann Arbor this past week. We had crocuses coming up too but I think they thought better of it and went dormant.

We've been doing some heavy spring cleaning too, coincidentally buying a new welcome mat as well (our's came from Kohl's). My wife's throwing a bridal shower for her daughter-in-law to be this weekend. We'll be cleaning right up till the hour.

B.S. said...

Dear Big Dave,

20 degrees! Yikes! Even the cool-weather crocuses shudder at that temperature.

Good luck with that cleaning. It reminds me of what I went through when I was trying to sell my house.

Hugs,
Betty

Monogram Queen said...

Happy Spring to you too, and never fear I checked in faithfully here at Whirling Betty!

Lynilu said...

Betty, I love the welcome mat! Very cheery!

When I drove to SF on Sat, I saw hints of green in trees along the way, and on the return trip, the same trees actually had leaves. I was surprised at the change in just 3 days!

I need to do some beneath-the-surface cleaning and purging. It doesn't show, but it is beginning to get on my nerves that my storage spaces are full, and full of many things I know I don't need.

I'm so glad you're back to blogging. I have missed you!

B.S. said...

Dear Patti,

I am so flattered that you checked in here! That means a lot to me.

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Lynilu,

Wow- I have a huge compliment from you, too! I'm so flattered to have been missed.

Good luck with your cleaning.

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Patti,

I am so flattered that you checked in here! That means a lot to me.

Hugs,
Betty

B.S. said...

Dear Patti,

I am so flattered that you checked in here! That means a lot to me.

Hugs,
Betty

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Love the colors in these pics, right down to the doormat!

B.S. said...

Dear 2nd Cup,

Thank you! I like to be colorful....

Hugs,
Betty

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Yay! You're in the 30 x 5!

B.S. said...

Dear 2nd Cup,

You're not letting me off the hook, I see! That's good.

Hugs,
Betty

Anonymous said...

OH!!! I'd so love to sit outside,
read a book and have a nice cup of
coffee...

Those pictures are just wonderful!


HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

B.S. said...

LAURIE!!!!!What happened to your blog????? I miss you!!!!

Hugs,
Betty